Saturday, October 25, 2014

The benefits of meaningful consultation


I like to use the skyscraper analogy to illustrate why I am such a strong proponent of meaningful consultation between Council, city administrators and residents. When construction on a skyscraper begins, workers spend what seems like months and months several hundred feet below ground with seemingly little to show for it. Then suddenly they are at grade level, and one new storey goes up every week: the construction crew spent the time required to build a solid foundation and the rest progressed at a much faster pace. Similarly, it's important to make the effort upfront to gather input from various interest groups, and diligently consider all of the undoubtedly divergent views and opinions. Otherwise, we spend a lot more energy repairing mistakes: we end up with complaints about the installation of an internet structure in the wrong place in St George's Park, a decrease in transit ridership, or hundreds of residents petitioning against a proposed zoning change near the Starwood library. Although addressing these various concerns proactively takes more time and effort initially, it is well worth it to ensure a solid foundation on which initiatives can then move forward at a healthy pace. 

Should I be elected as Councillor, I am committed to discussing municipal proposals with my constituents ahead of time, and I am committed to reporting back on how I voted at Council meetings and why. Please get in touch with me by phone or email: I look forward to including you in my Ward 1 Resident Network.
Sincerely,
Karolyne